Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Drawing a dotted wavy line from A - B

Today's post was supposed to be a 2-Minute Review of my travel system, but a news article discussing CougarLife.com's latest billboard debacle caught my eye.  As a mature woman of almost a "certain age" AND a breastfeeding mother, I feel the need to address this.


I firmly believe that there is no shame in an older woman dating a younger man.  I   see how society views men with younger women as acceptable but not women with younger men.

I accept that this is unfair and hypocritical and I think this website is kind of funny and entertaining.  


As a SAHM mother with three great kids AND an alternative model, I challenge anyone to find someone who would ever call me a prude, an over-reactor, or in any way easily offended. There are not many things in the advertising industry that truly offends me.  I worked in the industry for a short period of time (in a non marketing position) and I do not consider myself an expert of any sort.  However, I am a consumer and have been marketing to my entire life.  On this, I feel I am qualified to speak.

The issue I have at the moment isn't so much the sign - it's being taken down.  My chief complaint is the response to the public's outcry by the company spokesperson, Marlo Jordan.  This is Ms. Jordan (from the CougarLife website):


Miss CougarLife.com, Marlo Jordan


Marlo Jordan is the ultimate cougar... so say the millions of members at CougarLife.com! She is a successful business owner, a nationally ranked fitness competitor, a featured model, a professional dating coach, and a mom of three! Beating out thousands of hopeful cougars, Marlo has become our first "Miss CougarLife.com".
Being a cougar is second nature to Marlo... everywhere she goes, she attracts younger men. She maintains her busy cougar lifestyle by balancing her career as a professional dating coach, leading a healthy lifestyle, managing her family time, and enjoying her "me" time which includes dating lots of energetic young men. Everywhere she goes she turns heads, but aside from her sexy, youthful look, people everywhere fall in love with her for her intriguing, passionate and loveable personality. She epitomizes the cougar life.
Marlo enjoys traveling, fashion, working out, competing in fitness, and more than anything else, helping people reach their best. This last quality has in turn made her the perfect dating coach, guiding confident people to finding love. She is a 42-year-old single mother whose favorite pastime is dating eligible cubs all over America.



There's no denying that she's one hot mama.  She seems smart, sexy and confident - all things that are awesome.  So why then, does she fall flat on her face trying to convince OTHER smart, sexy and confident women that were offended by the (second) inappropriate billboard that they shouldn't be?  She is doing the *blink blink* whaaaa???? wide eyed thing mock innocence thing. Except she seems to expect us to buy it.  

My turn. Um, what?

She is, by her own admission, a divorced single mom who breastfed her own children.  When she tries to say, "A mother breastfeeding can still be sexy" it's justification for their bad decision.  I've taken photos of myself breastfeeding and it makes people uncomfortable, but I never tried to make it something other than what it was.  I shrugged it off and said, "yea well don't look at it."  I didn't tell people, "Oh, you should totally be into me with my infant on my breast, giggidy".  

She goes on to try and link, again, breastfeeding and relationships in this quote from the article "I know there are going to be some moms that look at it and think, 'What in the world?'" said Jordan. "But we don't think there's anything shameful about either breastfeeding or relationships between older women and younger men."  

Her biggest insult is where she further insults anyone's intelligence and basically calls us all idiots when she says there's no reason for the billboard to be taken down. Because it's next to a Farmers Market - it's the "...perfect place to showcase this ad," and follows up with, "There is nothing more natural than a woman breastfeeding."

Really?  Just what exactly are those farmers farming?  Uteruses?  Breasts?  Why is it the perfect place?  Do all farmers breastfeed AND date "cubs"? Or are you just drawing a line between your points A and B to make them seem related?  Let me try.

I enjoy music and because of that I should get my car washed. 

Follow the logic?  No?  Well, that's because there isn't any. Just like there is no correlation between breastfeeding and sex.  

I realize she is being paid to be the mouthpiece of the company, but shouldn't such an accomplished woman be able to come up with something better than this?  Or, possibly, it was such a bad decision that this WAS the best she could come up with. 

If you would like to contact the company and let them know what you think here is the contact information:

http://cougarlife.com/contact_us

Attn: Media Relations 
Cougar Life Inc. 

(DBA Cougar Life) 
20 Eglinton Ave West, Suite 1200
Toronto, ON Canada M4R 1K8 
1-877-740-3176


No comments:

Post a Comment

Adsense